Request Advice on Choosing a Large Sensor Camera

Started Nov 19, 2010 | Discussions thread
Shop cameras & lenses ▾
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Regular MemberPosts: 101
Request Advice on Choosing a Large Sensor Camera
Nov 19, 2010

I trust you guys here and hopefully can get steered in the right direction.

My wife takes a lot of pictures of of food, but they are rejected by photo sites like due to off color, not sharp or some other reason, but she is really careful with focus, lighting and white balance and I think has a really good eye.

I feel she is limited by the technical quality and capabilities of her Nikon P90 which is great for "happy snappy" and tourist zoom shots, but no where near what even a semi-pro camera can put out.

So I think I want she needs is some smallish camera with a large sensor (M43, APC, FF?) and fast prime lens (35 or 50mm f2?). In the Ricoh world the GXR A12-50mm would probably do it but is overpriced (for us) and apparently has some trouble with autofocus. She is a bit intimidated by a full blown DSLR and honestly would never use 10% of the features since this is a fairly specialized studio/portrait job.

What recommendations can you make? It's OK if it is used. I've browsed a bit and am considering the Samsung NX100 or the Sony NEX-3 but they seem to all come with kit zoom lenses.

Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow