Afordable good lens for mostly indoor cat photos?

Started Nov 19, 2010 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
mackitten
Regular MemberPosts: 129
Like?
Afordable good lens for mostly indoor cat photos?
Nov 19, 2010

Maybe affordable and good aren't really going to work together but I am looking for opinions.

I am no photographer, have so much to learn and need to reread Understanding Exposure for the 30th time, but I love taking pictures of my cats.

I have a Canon 300D (thinking about 'upgrading' T2i in the future - 6 months to year)

50 mm f1.8
Tamron IF 28-300 f3.5-6.5

80% of my photos are of my cats with another 15% being family and the other 5% is assorted vacation scenic shots.

Of the pet percent, 85% of that is indoors - the rest is when I take then out in the warm months.

Are the lenses I have good for photographing my pets or is there something better suited? I have been using my prime to play a lot since I got it and find I can get some good shots with it - have not used to tamron too much in the past year.

I know probably a lot of my problems are skill and things I need to learn more about but I want to make sure I am using adequate equipment.

When my cats are together - I seem to be having trouble keeping them both in focus, I want to say this is probably lack of skill or changing a setting and not my lenses?

What do I want to do better more of - take close pictures of their eyes face and action shots. I see these are really 2 things that different lenses are suited for.

I have seem recommended these lenses for pets

• Canon 85mm f1.2L lens.

• Canon 24-70mm f2.8L lens.

• Canon 100mm macro f2.8 lens.

• Canon 70-200mm f2.8L IS lens.

• Canon 50mm f1.4.

Canon 85mm f1.8

I only use my photos for personal use, family albumns online, perhaps print a calendar. These lenses look great but the price for me - is too much

I was hoping to find something closer to $500 range than $1000

Apologies if this is more of a beginners question but I felt since Im specific to canon that it might be more suited here

Any advise - my lenses are good just learn more to - another lens suggestion and learn more _ Im open and know that I have to practice and learn -

Thanks!
Jennifer

Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow