Started Nov 19, 2010 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
bobkeenan
Contributing MemberPosts: 690Gear list
Like?
Will a FF camera help me with this?
Nov 19, 2010

Every Sunday I look forward to going to our local farmer's market with my 7D. My wife shops and I hold the bags... and take handheld pictures of fruits and vegetables. I sell them on microstock sites. I could use a monopod, tripod, flash but I try to not be a pain in the ..... at the market.

I think we have one of the largest and most varied set of food being offered.

But the problem is light. The market is under the freeway it never has much light that reaches the food and during Fall/Winter/Spring the light becomes even less.

I am forced to take my shots at an ISO of 400 with apertures of 7 or less. There is always minor to gross noise in the shadows at 100% and working with such a small dof is less than desirable. I have to use a noise software to clean it up. And IMHO those programs always fix the noise but take away from some of the details and sharpness. Here is an example of a typical shot that has been cleaned up:

So.....will a ff camera like the 5DMII or its successor fix this issue? From reviews and examples it looks like I could shoot to at least ISO800 without any noise and depending on light conditions maybe even 1600 or even 3200. Again I am talking about low light situations because in nicely lit subjects the 7D is noise free at 800 and sometimes 1600.
--
Bob Keenan
http://bobbyk.smugmug.com

bobkeenan's gear list:bobkeenan's gear list
RX100 III Canon EOS 5D Mark II Canon EF 50mm f/1.4 USM Canon EF 17-40mm f/4.0L USM Canon EF 70-200mm f/2.8L IS USM +3 more
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow