Any "serious" shooters without DSLRs?

Started Nov 14, 2010 | Discussions thread
Henry Falkner
Forum ProPosts: 12,209Gear list
Like?
Re: Right tool for the right job
In reply to BobT, Nov 19, 2010

BobT wrote:

"...who has chosen to experience their interest in photography (casual and greater) via non-DSLR means? Who has chosen to use P&S cameras instead of DSLRs for all of their photography interests?"

Thank you for rephrasing the question. On 35mm I finished with two all-in-one SLRs (Olympus IS-1000, IS-2000) because I never liked the optical viewfinders on 35mm cameras - the framing was not precise.

While I did have two digital cameras that had a mirror and an optical viewfinder (Olympus C-1400L, C-2500L), I also owned a P&S along with each (Olympus D-400, D-490). The P&Ss had better resolution and less noise at a slightly smaller pixel count, and they could survive for longer than five minutes on alkaline AA cells..

When I had the C-2500L I photographed the woman who I spent my money on. She is still in my life, so a DSLR never got a look-in. She does not like competing with a camera for attention (she no longer poses).

The other issue is - what do I do with my pictures? Most of them get stored away, and they occasionally get dragged up to make a point in a discussion. I have a number of galleries on Pbase (which get dragged up in discussions). The woman is now overseas, but she wants a new email each morning, preferably with pictures in them. I also edit an amateur radio newsletter, of which I am the main picture contributor.

I had one exhibition in 2002 which was a flop.

So, for what I do, a 10x pocket P&S (Olympus Stylus 9010) takes care of 70% of my picture needs, and the 20x superzoom takes care of the other 30% (Olympus SP-570UZ), which includes bird photography, moon shots, and the almost daily documentation of art, house and garden maintenance for Sandra (and that often needs a strong external flash in- and outdoors).

Henry

-- hide signature --

Henry Falkner - SP-570UZ, Stylus 9010, Stylus 7020, D-490Z
http://www.pbase.com/hfalkner

 Henry Falkner's gear list:Henry Falkner's gear list
Olympus SP-570 UZ Olympus SH-50 Olympus Stylus SH-1
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow