Started Nov 18, 2010 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
csciguy8
Forum MemberPosts: 50
Like?
Panasonic kit 14-42 vs. 14-45, real world thoughts
Nov 18, 2010

So I have a G2 with the 14-42mm lens and always wondered if upgrading to the 14-45mm would be worth it. I've read the dpreview reviews but MFT graphs only tell so much. How much difference would I actually perceive?

So I bought a G1 kit (w/14-45mm) and promptly switched its kit lens for mine.
_

My impressions from handling...

• The lens is noticeably heavier. I thought I wouldn't be able to tell, but I did

• I couldn't tell the size difference, even though the 14-45 is a tad shorter

• The zoom ring texture feels better. It has a kind of grippy plastic, where the other just feels like hard plastic

• The zoom in / out action is a good deal smoother. Very nice, but oddly enough, I never really noticed the 14-42 being sticky.

• The metal mount looks pretty, but I don't really care vs. the 14-42's plastic one

• The OIS switch looks convenient, but 99% of the time I don't switch it off

_

And then I ran some image quality tests...

I used the min / max zooms at both completely wide open and at F8.0 (where they are supposed to be sharpest). I manually focused, turned OIS off, set a 2 second timer, used tripod, set to aperture priority, used the G2 with JPEGs and no post processing.

• I couldn't tell the difference in center sharpness in any picture

• The non center areas seemed sharper on the 14-45 at 14mm, F3.5. I couldn't tell a difference in any other picture

• The difference between 42mm and 45mm is visually really small

• Both lenses look really good at F8. Sharp, minimal vignetting

_

So is it worth trading up? Tough call. Subjectively, I think the 14-42 has 95% the image quality of the 14-45. Handling wise, I liked the zoom action the best, and that's just an incremental improvement. My original plan was to sell the G1 with the 14-42mm. Depending on how much I recoupe from that, it might be worth it.

What do you guys think?

_

Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow