Impressions of the D7000 (extremely long)

Started Nov 17, 2010 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
IeraseU
Senior MemberPosts: 1,875
Like?
Impressions of the D7000 (extremely long)
Nov 17, 2010

Background:

I am freelance photographer and assistant to an established local commercial and advertising photographer. Working for a pretty good size studio, I have access to most professional level Nikon equipment for comparative purposes. I work in the ‘real world’ shooting for both private and corporate clients. I received my D7000 on Monday, and on that same day I got a call from Hooters asking if I would be willing to shoot a poster for them on Wednesday. I took Tuesday to familiarize myself with the camera, and shot the assignment for Hooters on Wednesday morning. These are some of the opinions that I have formed in the time that I’ve spent with the camera.

Autofocus:

Simply put, the autofocus is among the best I’ve seen this side of a D3(s/x). I’m not talking specifically about focus tracking (I will have to research that on another day); I am talking about focus speed and accuracy. Even when using the non-cross type sensors, The D7000 is incredibly accurate, in any kind of light, every time. It is definitely much improved over the CAM-1000 of D90 or D200, for which I never was able to trust anything other then the center focus point. In fact, the focus on the D7000 is so fast that a lot of the time I don’t even have to ‘half press’ the shutter to let focus settle because it (focus) is achieved almost instantly. I shot close to 2000 photos in two days, and I’m struggling to find even one or two that are out of focus. The D7000 pretty much nails focus every time, no matter what focus point you use (cross type or otherwise). Autofocus speed gets all the headlines, but in my opinion, focus accuracy is more important. What good is a camera that shoots very fast but can't achieve good focus? The D7000 is amazingly accurate with it's focus.

High ISO performance:

The shoot for Hooters was done entirely at ISO 800 because of a mix-up with the company that was providing the lighting (via rentals). I’m actually pretty amazed that it’s possible to shoot in the studio at ISO 800 with zero noise problems. I’d say that up to ISO 1600, it’s on par with the D700, and above that it is only at a slight disadvantage (detail suffers, but the image remains clean).

Meter:

I have not heard a lot of people discuss the meter, but consider me blown away. Nikon has always been known for it’s metering, and the D7000 has the absolute best meter that I’ve ever used. It exposes perfectly just about every time. All you have to do is point and shoot and the camera gets it right all by itself. I rarely even need to use exposure compensation; it’s just that good. Best. Meter. Ever.

(To be Continued)

Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
WOW!New
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow