Epson Pefection 2400 to V500 Replacement. Is it worth it?

Started Nov 8, 2010 | Discussions thread
santamonica812
Contributing MemberPosts: 818Gear list
Like?
I got the V500
In reply to Vernon D Rainwater, Nov 17, 2010

I just got off the phone with B & H and ordered the V500. When I asked the salesman there if the V600 was worth the extra money, he thought not, unless the ICE was an important feature. (Not for me . . . I'll do any necessary PP in Photoshop.) I think the Dmax might be slightly better for the 600, but marginally. And since the V500 scans photos at up to 6400 ppi, that should be more than enough for my needs. B & H is having a sale right now, so the 500 was only $129 (no tax and free shipping in the US). I'll post back here when it arrives and I after have a chance to try it out.

Based on my needs (to print at the max sizes I want, at 360 dpi), I need to have scans that yield files of about 230 mb inside PS. Scanning at 1000 or 1100 ppi should do the trick.

I'll note that at my school's digital lab, their high-end scanner tops out at 1600 dpi. The technology really does advance quickly, and what was state-of-the-art 5 years ago is now merely average. Good news for us consumers.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow