Started Nov 17, 2010 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Martin Datzinger
Senior MemberPosts: 2,216
Like?
24-120/4VR? not for me.
Nov 17, 2010

I had very high hopes regarding this lens, being sure Nikon would put all its recently newfound lens-mojo in it and deliver the perfect midrange zoom for an eventually appearing D800/D700x. 24-120 - an almost perfect range, constant f/4, nice build quality, standard 77mm filter thread, VR, nano coating, you name it.

But no. It vignettes wildly wide open. Distortion is on the hefty side. The zoom ring is in the front, constantly putting you in danger of throwing off focus by accident. An minimal spacing on the zoom ring between 24 and 28mm settings (note: zooms for me are for precise framing at a given perspective). As it zooms, it extends considerably, employing a two tube design, putting it at increased risk of mechanical failure. This is worsened by a very narrow sunshade at the front of the innermost tube, that supports a large portion of the delicate inner zoom and maybe even the focus mechanics and lenses, which will all get a knock every time the hood touches something.

And now this catastrophic review:

http://www.slrgear.com/reviews/showproduct.php/product/1358/cat/13

Please tell me this is bad sample variation. Because it doesn't even seem to put the Canon 24-105/4 in shame.

I'll happily stay with DX and my trusty 17-55 for the moment and get myself the 24-70 workhorse for sure, if Nikon ever decides to give me an FX body suiting my taste.

Kind regards,
Martin

-- hide signature --
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow