Thom's 2011 predictions are out and D400 is...

Started Nov 6, 2010 | Discussions thread
Dan
Dan
Senior MemberPosts: 1,371Gear list
Like?
ETTR
In reply to Tony Beach, Nov 16, 2010

Tony Beach wrote:

I might start shooting RAW if there was some standardized image format where it would be no different than shooting JPG. I'd shoot RAW and my computer would automatically know alll my settings (WB, sharpness, contrast, etc.) so that I didn't have to do anything more to the pictures.

Batch processing can accomplish that pretty well -- with NX you should get everything the same without ever really touching the files, and retain the latitude of RAW if you want to go back and work on the files some more.

I guess they're trying to make it simpler, but it's still an extra step I'm not ready to live with. I want Windows to recognize the RAW file as if it were a JPG.

However, the real value of RAW is the ability to expose in a fundamentally different way and retain complete control over the file (e.g., ETTR), and that's where you start to see what your camera is really capable of compared to what it is delivering.

I had to search Yahoo to decipher the acronym. It sounds a lot like pulling/pushing. This is what I read about ETTR.

http://www.rags-int-inc.com/PhotoTechStuff/ETTR/

Still, even without ETTR, you can pull more detail out of a RAW file than the camera's ASIC delivers, it's often marginal though and for many not worth the effort (but then the same can be said for constantly upgrading cameras).

I don't mind upgrading cameras once in a while. I'm a gadget freak, so I love any new useful technology that gets introduced.

Dan's gear list:Dan's gear list
Sony Cyber-shot DSC-HX30V Nikon D300 Nikon D600 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-200mm f/3.5-5.6G IF-ED VR +4 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
ETTRNew
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow