Started Nov 16, 2010 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
GeraldW
Veteran MemberPosts: 5,936Gear list
Like?
The future for EVIL cameras
Nov 16, 2010

I'm not trolling; this is a serious question.

Here's a few starting "facts".

1) Nikon and Canon have not rushed into EVIL's, Nor has Pentax or Fuji.

2) Local sales of m4/3 cameras were initially brisk; but have since all but stopped
3) m4/3 were reported as being 10% of UK sales of DSLRs
4) EVIL's were reported at 20% of sales in Japan (assumed to be the DSLR market)
5) EVIL's are currently produced by Olympus, Panasonic, Sony, and Samsung.

Rumors of Canon and Nikon EVIL's abound. One wonders if they are serious; watching and waiting, or are the rumors put out to "freeze" the market?

Another thought I had was that the initial sales were brisk because of the "be the first on your block to own one" syndrome (AKA early adopters) for something new, and that once that was over, sales slumped.

Another thoughtwas that the EVIL was perceived by its manufacturers as an "end run" around the market dominance of Canon and Nikon. Olympus has a long history of doing that, Samsung hasn't done well selling rebranded Pentax DSLR's, and Panasonic appears to have given up on DSLRs. Sony has the NEX series; but even that piggy backs on a new line of video cameras with interchangeable lenses. Meanwhile Sony has introduced the new line of translucent mirror cameras that use the Alpha lenses.

I'n not living in a large market area. This is a city of 56,000 with one local independent camera shop that carries Olympus, Canon, Nikon, and some Fuji and a few Big Box stores. So I don't have a "big picture" view of this.

As I said in the beginning, I'm serious about this issue. Is the EVIL the next big thing, or is it a passing fad like the interchangeable lens APS-C cameras were?

-- hide signature --

Jerry

GeraldW's gear list:GeraldW's gear list
Canon PowerShot A710 IS Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ200 Canon PowerShot G15
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Huh?New
GH2New
Re:New
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow