Thom's 2011 predictions are out and D400 is...

Started Nov 6, 2010 | Discussions thread
Tony Beach
Senior MemberPosts: 5,084
Like?
Re: What about the D7000?
In reply to Simon Garrett, Nov 15, 2010

Simon Garrett wrote:

Which DX photographers need a vertical grip?

Which FX photographers need a vertical grip?

Those that take pictures of people. I think there are many more photographers that take pictures of people than there are that take pictures of birds.

Do bird photographers need it?

Does anybody? In fact there have been a few who have asked for it.

I guess sports photographers could benefit from this too.

Yes, and all those photographers can benefit from a tripod, so shall we have that built in too?

That's a specious argument.

The whole point of the D300 (and D700) are that they are pro cameras (or at least semi-pro) but much lighter.

They could be lighter. Where's the lighter version of the D3x or D3s? Nikon doesn't seem to have a problem reserving their best sensors and features in their largest bodies, and the D300 and D700 are no exception to that.

I think it would be a serious mistake to load the camera with extra weight not needed by most photographers most of the time. And I'm prepared to bet good money that most potential users of the D300 don't want a grip, or at least don't want it most of the time.

As I've said numerous times, there is the D7000 option, and something like that would be most welcome by many FX users too. How many D300 users would simply opt for a D7000 if it had all the capabilities of their D300/D300s? If the answer is that a significant portion would, then that makes a "D400" with just a couple of small benefits and no integrated grip possibly as much or more of a niche product than one with an integrated grip. The other half of the coin is how many of those who like the bigger bodies and shoot with the D3x, D3, D3s, and D2x would welcome a "D400" with an integrated body and be willing to pay a premium for it? It could be that even if an integrated grip sells less than a non-integrated grip, if the profit margin is higher for the former then Nikon might be further ahead to make a "D400" with an integrated grip.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
ETTRNew
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow