Thom's 2011 predictions are out and D400 is...

Started Nov 6, 2010 | Discussions thread
Tony Beach
Senior MemberPosts: 4,670
Like?
Re: What about the D7000?
In reply to Dan, Nov 15, 2010

Dan wrote:

Tony Beach wrote:

a "D400" could be a return to the D2x type of body. It's just speculation anyway, so no point in dwelling on it too much

I wonder why they don't just make a D3 that has either an FX or a DX sensor, two models. Like a car with two different engine options.

Probably too small a production run to make having both a "D400" and D4dx" in the line-up; they would in one sense be in direct competition with each other.

I am not going to shoot RAW.

Your loss. If you are happy with the JPEG output then great, but if you aren't, then consider RAW instead of running out to buy the next generation of camera because better processing of your files is tantamount to a sensor upgrade.

I might start shooting RAW if there was some standardized image format where it would be no different than shooting JPG. I'd shoot RAW and my computer would automatically know alll my settings (WB, sharpness, contrast, etc.) so that I didn't have to do anything more to the pictures.

Batch processing can accomplish that pretty well -- with NX you should get everything the same without ever really touching the files, and retain the latitude of RAW if you want to go back and work on the files some more. However, the real value of RAW is the ability to expose in a fundamentally different way and retain complete control over the file (e.g., ETTR), and that's where you start to see what your camera is really capable of compared to what it is delivering. Still, even without ETTR, you can pull more detail out of a RAW file than the camera's ASIC delivers, it's often marginal though and for many not worth the effort (but then the same can be said for constantly upgrading cameras).

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
ETTRNew
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow