Thom's 2011 predictions are out and D400 is...

Started Nov 6, 2010 | Discussions thread
Tony Beach
Senior MemberPosts: 4,811
Like?
Re: What about the D7000?
In reply to Dan, Nov 14, 2010

Dan wrote:

Tony Beach wrote:

They introduced the D300, then they used its sensor in the D90, and everyone with a D90 could say that it performed like a D300.

Cameras are not just about sensors.

I know, but if you only look at the pictures,

That's for the audience, for the photographer the features and capabilities of the camera can be important.

Nikon will not come out with a new state of the art AF system in a "D400" before they have introduced one just as good in their flagship models.

I really hope the D400 has a much quick AF acquisition time than the D300.

That's my expectation.

[Snip.]

But the AF system in the D300 doesn't seem to be the same as the one in the D3. I've read that the D300 has an AF acquisition lag that the D3 doesn't have.

I've read that as well, and I've read similar about the D700 (as in the D700 is faster than the D300 but slower than the D3/D3s). Still, I wouldn't expect Nikon to leapfrog the D3s performance in any substantial way with a "D400" without also upgrading the D3s to a "D4" [that's the point in my post below that you replied to].

You won't buy a D3 if you want a DX camera in a bigger body though, you can only buy a D2x or a D3x and use it in DX mode, and that's the point of making a "D400" a bigger bodied camera.

Which DX photographers need a vertical grip?

Which FX photographers need a vertical grip?

Do bird photographers need it?

Does anybody? In fact there have been a few who have asked for it.

The D100/200/300 series has always been small.

Not small enough for some; many who shoot FX would appreciate an FX DSLR as small as (or even smaller than) the D7000. Therein lies your answer, if you like really small, get a D7000.

Going big would not make sense because it would alienate so many D200/D300(s) shooters. If there is a high enough demand for a built-in vertical grip, it would make more sense to make another D2x type of a body,

A rose by any other name would smell as sweet. That's the point, a "D400" could be a return to the D2x type of body. It's just speculation anyway, so no point in dwelling on it too much -- Nikon has almost certainly already decided which body they will use, as well as which sensor, in a "D400."

A D7000 is essentially a D90 (at least that's how I feel about it right now, not having tried it yet), so I'm not so sure. I would only consider the D7000 if its AF system is quicker than the one in the D300. I went through a lot of bodies before I found one that suited me.

From what I'm reading, the D7000 AF is comparable to the D300/D300s. That's not unlike what happened with the D90 BTW, where that camera used the same AF system that had been used in the D200 as the D300 inherited the newer AF technology shared with the D3.

I am not going to shoot RAW.

Your loss. If you are happy with the JPEG output then great, but if you aren't, then consider RAW instead of running out to buy the next generation of camera because better processing of your files is tantamount to a sensor upgrade.

Isn't that [software] what they improved on the D3s?

No, they improved the sensor and increased the buffer size.

So they chose not to improve the sensor for the D300. I guess they're making D200/300 shooters wait a little longer for the D400. What was the point of the D300s? To get the D200 shooters? I wonder if it was worth producing.

The D300s added video and a second memory card slot, along with a couple of UI tweaks. Most of us in this forum said when it came out that it wasn't worth upgrading from a D300 for, or a D200 for that matter if you have been happy with the D200. I believe Nikon came out with the D300s so that they could continue selling the camera to those that objected to the lack of video, which is a feature the camera companies are currently fixated on and believe they need to offer with every DSLR.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
ETTRNew
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow