Thom's 2011 predictions are out and D400 is...

Started Nov 6, 2010 | Discussions thread
Tony Beach
Senior MemberPosts: 4,809
Like?
Re: Thom's 2011 predictions are out and D400 is...
In reply to Richard Briscoe, Nov 14, 2010

Richard Briscoe wrote:

Tony Beach wrote:

Better would be nice, but I wouldn't expect miracles.

I don't recall bring up miracles, but, while on the subject, I have to say that the performance of the D3/D3s sensors at high ISOs is pretty close. I have examined a number of images captured at ISO 6,400 which, IMO, were virtually indistinguishable from those as lower ISOs. If Nikon can bring that sort of performance to the D400's sensor, that would qualify as a "significant improvement" in my book. The ability to shoot at higher ISOs gives one so much greater flexibility in so many situations that it is, quite simply, game changing.

I would say that if a "D400" were to match the D3s at high ISO, that would be something approaching a miracle at this time, so that's what I mean by not expecting a "miracle" and something more than a "significant improvement" in my book.

The other thing is that the D300/D300s sensor has been viewed as a downgrade from the D200 sensor by a number of landscape shooters because they do not give the clean images (especially of blue sky) and color rendition without more time spent in PP.

Well, I do a lot of landscape photography, and it took me couple of months to get a handle on the D300 sensor, and I would say that the D300 is not a downgrade from the D200 in that regard. In response to a claim that the D200 has more DR than the D300, I had prepared this recent reply: http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/read.asp?forum=1039&message=36808916 As for color profiling, that can be an issue with any camera, and the same knocks on the D300 apply to the D700 and other Picture Control cameras Nikon has released since the D300 came out -- but it's not a sensor issue: http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/read.asp?forum=1039&message=35652723

There is a balance in sensor performance which is necessary to please the greater number of people. The demands for high ISO/high frame rate performance of sports, wildlife and action photography are rather different than the needs of a landscape photographer whose exposures are measured in seconds rather than frames per second, as are the needs for 5 frame (or greater) auto-bracketing for HDR image capture and so on. Nikon's task is not an easy one.

At this point, I would recommend a D7000 as a competent landscape camera. If a "D400" uses the same sensor, then I would consider it to be both a competent landscape camera and presumably more suitable for action/sports than the D7000. Some of the high ISO cameras like the D3s are actually less suitable for landscape photography, but would be the first choice for action/sports.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
ETTRNew
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow