Thom's 2011 predictions are out and D400 is...

Started Nov 6, 2010 | Discussions thread
Richard Briscoe
Regular MemberPosts: 401
Like?
Re: Thom's 2011 predictions are out and D400 is...
In reply to Tony Beach, Nov 13, 2010

Tony Beach wrote:

Richard Briscoe wrote:

Tony Beach wrote:

Sensors have been very good now for some time, and for some photographers the durability and features of the camera are more important.

True, but people with a D300s, which has decent durability/features/etc, unless there is a significant improvement in the sensor. That is the point. If the sensor is the same as that of the D7000 and people have to wait a year for it to get into a "durable" body, that would indeed be disappointing.

It would certainly be aggravating. The thing is that Nikon would presumably upgrade the D300s body in much the same way that they upgraded the D90 body when they came out with the D7000.

I, for one, certainly hope that the D400 sensor will be a different one from that of the D7000 and will be significantly better.

Better would be nice, but I wouldn't expect miracles. I actually expect more advancement on the AF front, as the D7000 sensor is a nice improvement over the older 12 MP sensor, but if the D7000 AF system is still a near match for a "D400" AF system then that would truly be a disappointment for all those waiting for D300s replacement.

I don't recall bring up miracles, but, while on the subject, I have to say that the performance of the D3/D3s sensors at high ISOs is pretty close. I have examined a number of images captured at ISO 6,400 which, IMO, were virtually indistinguishable from those as lower ISOs. If Nikon can bring that sort of performance to the D400's sensor, that would qualify as a "significant improvement" in my book. The ability to shoot at higher ISOs gives one so much greater flexibility in so many situations that it is, quite simply, game changing.

The other thing is that the D300/D300s sensor has been viewed as a downgrade from the D200 sensor by a number of landscape shooters because they do not give the clean images (especially of blue sky) and color rendition without more time spent in PP. There is a balance in sensor performance which is necessary to please the greater number of people. The demands for high ISO/high frame rate performance of sports, wildlife and action photography are rather different than the needs of a landscape photographer whose exposures are measured in seconds rather than frames per second, as are the needs for 5 frame (or greater) auto-bracketing for HDR image capture and so on. Nikon's task is not an easy one.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
ETTRNew
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow