Thom's 2011 predictions are out and D400 is...

Started Nov 6, 2010 | Discussions thread
Richard Briscoe
Regular MemberPosts: 401
Like?
Re: Thom's 2011 predictions are out and D400 is...
In reply to Phil_L, Nov 13, 2010

Phil_L wrote:

Nikon is going to have to pull out all the stops on a "D400" to clearly differentiate it from the D7k which looks like a real winner.

This includes features, ergonomics and performance.

An integrated grip is on the cards as well imo, but I wont be crying if it doesn't materialise.

The battery grip for the D300(s) is nice except for mounting on a tripod where the joint becomes a wobbly POS that lets the camera shimmy like a jelly in step with mirror slap.
--
Phil_L

Thom's description of the D400, while nice, certainly does not sound like something that is clearly distinguished from the D7000 except in (nice to have) details, if the sensor is essentially the same, it will be a disappointment.

Thom's predictions are, of course, based upon very limited information and a lot of speculation, but lack a perspective of what the market will be next year. Canon, for example, is not standing still. They are expected to have the 5D MK III out in the same time frame as the D800. Nikon must have some intel on what Canon are expected to do and I wonder if Nikon will be able to present something that can meet the challenge. Thom's predictions are not for anything startling or dramatic, at least until the D4 is released. Can it be that Nikon is continuing to struggle with the sensor design & production transition and simply does not have significant advances ready? Matters such as a grip or external controls or improved weather sealing may be nice, but the sensor is the reason for people to buy the camera.

I realize that Nikon have intentionally left some things out of the D7000 so they will be able to offer them in the D400 and such, but just how will their sensors compete with the new ones from other manufacturers?

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
ETTRNew
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow