Anyone missing in-body stabilization with primes?

Started Nov 12, 2010 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Smileybloke
Junior MemberPosts: 49
Like?
Anyone missing in-body stabilization with primes?
Nov 12, 2010

Hi Everyone.

Thanks for reading my post here! I'd really appreciate your opinions and experience.

First some background... I've never owned any DSLR, but I'm not a photography newbie. I owned several film SLRs, a Mamiya TLR and some darkroom and studio strobe stuff during the film era, but since I retired my last film Canon about four years ago I've really been out of "serious" photography and have made do with digital compacts.

I'd now like to buy a decent DSLR, and basically I'd like to get the D7000 but I'm still considering the Pentax K5.

I'd really like to go with the Nikon for various reasons (you all know what's good about them), but I'm planning my system to start with just the 35mm 1.8, and then add an 85mm and one of the wide angle zooms later (nikon 10-24, tokina 11-16, haven't decided which yet). OK, this is just a plan, and if Sigma release a stabilized 50-150 I could be tempted by that rather than the 85mm (unless I save the money for both), but let's assume that in six months time I've got the D7000, 10-24, 35, 85 (hopefully the 1.4D if I can find a cheap used copy).

Hold on! With this setup I'd have no VR. Should that worry me? What will I be missing out on? Primes. In-body stabilization. Isn't that what Pentax does? Hmm.

I'm not really after specific camera or lens advice because everyone's choice is different based on personal requirements, but I do have a specific question. Is there anyone who has owned and used both a DSLR with in-body stabilization and a recent Nikon DSLR and who has used both systems mainly with prime lenses? Do you / did you miss this feature on the Nikon when using primes? If so, under what conditions? Basically, am I going to miss this feature? For example, if I'm using the 35mm 1.8 hand-held for night shots in a city centre will I miss the stabilization? Does modern (D7000) ISO performance mean that this doesn't matter anymore?

I can guess this, but I'd really appreciate comments from people with actual experience of using both systems with primes such as these. Do you miss the in-body stabilization, and if yes, when? What type of shots? I'd like to know what I'll be missing out on before I start spending!

Note. This isn't meant to become an in-body versus in-lens stabilization thread. We've all had enough of that, I'm sure. And it's not what I'm asking.

Thank you in advance to anyone who shares their experience. It's much appreciated.

Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow