Started Nov 12, 2010 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
luisferfranco
Regular MemberPosts: 343Gear list
Like?
Just bought an A55 / EVF vs OVF
Nov 12, 2010

What's the real difference between EVF and an OVF?

Well… jokes aside, I find the EVF just great.

Several years ago I had a F828 that I really loved, my questions on those forums were: why can't Sony do an interchangable lens using the same technology on the F828… on those years some "purists" told me that the EVF will "NEVER" be like an OVF so it would be a waste of energy to build a crippled camera.

The F828 EVF wasn't great, it just did the job, but it had serious flaws: there was a "considerable" delay between what you were watching on the VF and what was realy happen, the resolution was not very good either, but it had a nice ability to zoom for precise focus, due to the low resolution, this wasn't too helpful either.

Then I bought an A100, then an A350 and so on… and watched how Nikon and Canon started using Live Views on their cameras before Sony, and how they added video, and such...

But now I see most of the things I tought would be great ideas back then, realised now on the Axx… the VF still has some delay, but it is much less, and the resolution is pretty high so you can have an almost-OVF. Sure, it is a bit strange when you want to do some panning shots, but it is pretty usable.

I really like the added information on the EVF, it is kinda "augmented reality" and find it pretty useful, another thing its great its the ability to zoom for precise focusing. My eyes are far from perfect and I always had to rely on what the A/F "wanted" to focus, 99% of the time is correct, but there are some 1% when doing macros that I'd like more control. Now I can focus with this aide with much more ease.

There's still much more to do on the EVFs, but they are getting better and better...

Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow