Started Nov 11, 2010 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Jan3x5
Senior MemberPosts: 2,484Gear list
Like?
Filtered 7-14 (HOWTO)
Nov 11, 2010

I have often thought how to make this lens filtered, altough it was many times mentioned as impossible. Finally found simple, straight-forward and pretty cheap solution, which worked very well for me ... Let's check to find out if it will work for you as well .

Firstly a list of components you need to build it :

1. Olympus lens cap for 7-14 (LC-87)

2. Formatt Hitech 100mm Mk4 wide angle filter holder: http://www.formatt.co.uk/stills-filters/hardware-100mm/mk4-aluminium-wide-angle.aspx

3. 100 mm filters

How to build it, step-by-step :

1. Pick the LC-87 lens cap, use the knife or small flat screwdriver to break the hood apart. Simply put the tool into the slot at the front of the cap and carefully lever. The cap is composed from two parts - barrel and front flat cap. These two parts are glued (not pressed) together, so easy task.

2. Store the front flat part (with Olympus badge) somewhere just for case you will need to rebuild the complete lens cap in future. You will not need it anymore for the holder.

3. Loosen the screw on Hitech filter holder and put the front of the barrel (second part of broken lens cap) into it - it fits exactly, the outer diameter of barrel and inner diameter of holder is same!

4. Check that barrel and holder are assembled together straight and tighten the screw.
5. Insert your filter into the front slot of the holder.

6. Put this holder with filter on the lens - same way as original lens cap. Make sure the built-in lens hood is in touch with the filter (it shouldn't scratch it, at least my filters have no marks).

7. Enjoy

How it looks like?

(thanks to all of you who helped me with measuring the lens few months ago!)

-- hide signature --
 Jan3x5's gear list:Jan3x5's gear list
Nikon D700 Nikon D7000 Fujifilm X-E2 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 16-35mm f/4G ED VR Nikon AF-S Micro-Nikkor 60mm f/2.8G ED +12 more
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow