Started Nov 11, 2010 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
locke_fc
Contributing MemberPosts: 825
Like?
DA35/2.4 AL - First impressions (K-x)
Nov 11, 2010

I recently found this lens in stock at Amazon UK and couldn't resist to buy it for the price. I'll just copy/paste what I've posted in "the other" forum:

I've only had time to run some quick tests, but my impressions so far are quite positive.

This lens does seem to be a step up from the 18-55 kit lens in several regards. In addition to the obvious advantages offered by the extra stop (DoF control, low light shooting), I'd definitely say the 35mm f2.4 focuses faster than the kit lens, both in good and poor light conditions. I have not done proper tests to confirm this impression though.

In terms of sharpness, it also looks far better than the kit lens and well into "prime" territory. It's very sharp wide open, and I'd say almost as sharp as my M 50mm 1.7 (which is outstanding) at f/5.6 and f/8. The only thing I've disliked so far is some occasional, severe purple fringing in certain images at f2.4-f2.8 (see bike shot below), but I don't have the same photos shot at smaller apertures to compare.

All in all, I'm quite happy with my purchase so far. Here's some quick & dirty test shots (EXIF should be intact):

100% crop

100% crop

100% crop

100% crops at f2.4 - 5.6 - 8

Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow