Started Nov 11, 2010 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
DaveJC
Senior MemberPosts: 1,754Gear list
Like?
EPL1 blows GF1 out of water
Nov 11, 2010

This is more an IQ complaint rather than a function complaint. Actually the GF1 was easier to use in MF than the EPL1 so using the 12-60 was a breeze on the GF1 where it automatically zoomed the image when the MF ring was moved, very convenient. My problem was wi the JPG output of the two cameras.

My wife and I spent a long weekend in the Rocky Mountain NP area also in Boulder,CO. My wife had claimed the EPL1 with the two Pany kit zooms so I used the GF1 with Pany 7-14 and the Oly 12-60. So right off, I had better glass. When we returned, I tried to compare the RAW and JPG of scenes that we both took at nearlly the same position. On each instance the Pany RAW and JPG and the Oly RAW were ok but not anything to write home about. With some work in LR, a reasonable print could be produced. What really blew me away was the EPL1 JPGs. They were spectacular. The colors and saturation of the images were such that I could not get close in LR with the Oly RAW.

This has blown a hole in my future camera upgrade path. I had decided the get the GH2 instead of the E-5 and eventually sell off my FT gear. Now I am back in the undecided camp.

I admit, I am lazy in that if my camera can make a near perfect image straight up, I will use it instead of trying to mess a RAW file for hours. That was the original reason I came from Canon to Oly. If I can get similar and maybe even better results with the E-5, I would be crazy to go the GH2 route. I am at work at the moment but can upload a couple of images later today If you would like to see them.
Truly confused now, Dave
--
DaveJC

DaveJC's gear list:DaveJC's gear list
Fujifilm X-M1
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow