What has been keeping me away form Pentax...

Started Nov 11, 2010 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
NumberOne
Senior MemberPosts: 1,806Gear list
Like?
What has been keeping me away form Pentax...
Nov 11, 2010

Greetings from Lisbon.

Let me start by saying that I "shoot" «Canon» since the digital age [ ], and most of the time with an APS-C sensor mainly because of its inherent portability/size/weight.
My first serious SLR was a «Nikon F», many, many years ago.

I'm not - and will never be - brand loyal, I (just) try to buy - and when it justifies, up grade to - what best suits my needs.

10 Years ago «Canon» was "The (my obvious) Choice", and I think one could say they offered the best digital IQ while given a large and comprehensive lens range, the latter, IMO, the most important (and sometimes so disregarded) factor to look for when buying - or should I say - marrying a system.

Nevertheless, from time to time, and whenever I fell "my choice / Brand" is not taking well care of me, I look at other options.

One of these option, and for a long time, has been «Pentax», and that's the reason why I have been reading (and collecting) their manuals, and so this is where the «K5» enters the story, but also, once again, when I try to find out if I can have lens choices among the «Pentax» range.

For my APS-C Canon, and for practical/portability reasons, I mostly travel with this (zoom) range: (Usage percentage 1 (60%) -> 2 (40%) -> 3 (5%) -> Would like to have other lens 5% )
1. Tokina AT-X_116 Pro_DX
2. Canon EF-S 17-55mm f2.8 USM IS
3. Canon EF 70-300mm f4-5.6 USM IS (or EF 70-200mm f/4 USM L IS)

Within the Pentax lens range - although not as "fast", optically - I've been looking to build a system based upon these:

1. smc PENTAX DA 12-24mm F4.0 ED AL (IF) -> Wider to 10mm preferred - no fisheye, please

2. smc PENTAX DA 17-70mm F4 AL (IF) SDM -> Better feedback than smc PENTAX DA Star 16-50mm F2.8 ED AL (IF) SDM...

3. smc PENTAX DA Star 60-250mm F4 ED (IF) SDM -> though a little to heavy for my taste...

Mostly grateful if you could suggest - and justify - other options (Third-Party, included, please ;)).

TIA,
Best regards,
Pedro

PS - I've have been considering «Pentax» for some time, because of it's straightforward photo functioning/UI. "TAv" is a must, and a very well thought mode I miss (almost) for every photo, and the K-5 seems to have finally (Sorry Pentax Guys...) an up to date sensor which can compete/surpass the "Big Boys"... (the only thing missing, and what would be - IMO - "the icing on the cake" is an integrated GPS, which almost everybody - except «Sony» - keeps forgetting to implement! (Wake-up - the ship is about 5-10 USD a piece!)

Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow