Switching to A33 need advice and lens options Thanks!

Started Nov 10, 2010 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Zhiyong Sun
Regular MemberPosts: 302
Like?
Switching to A33 need advice and lens options Thanks!
Nov 10, 2010

Hello, I am new to SONY forum but I figure this is be best place to get SONY related advice right? So thanks in advance! And sorry that the post is long so if you can give me lens advice please go straight to the bottom..
==============

A bit background, I am currently using olympus E510+ 2 kit lens (covering 28mm-300mm). I also have a sanyo HD camcorder. My main types of shooting are

-Portrait (toddler daughter, family and friends), I have done several wedding shooting for my friends for free with borrowed Canon XT and portrait prime lens. I had enjoyed the kind of blurring background portrait using those prime lens and would like to achieve the same with my own camera/system.

-Travel landscape, I used to have a Canon Pro1 with a good zoom but now with olympus I had to change lens sometimes, the results were very good though. So my dream is versatility when traveling.

-HD video. I have done quite a lot for my daughter in door, and for traveling. Enjoyed the results and the process of editing the video. However switching between camera/camcorder is cumbersome sometimes.

==============

I know I could get good portrait lens and zoom lens for olympus however olympus seems not planning to offer anything in the shape of conventional DSLR in the current generation of market (mainly video shooting capability). E5 is too much, too big and too pro for me, and the PENs are not my style neither and I think they are charging too much for what they offer. I really like the operation/handle of the olympus E510 thought and consider it far better than what is on the Canon XT (the only other dslr I have used). In-body IS is also my favourite.

Therefore I am considering another system for a balanced experience between still and video, and I almost decided it'll be something like the new a33, or panasonic G2. I am leaning toward the A33 for higher fps, good AF during video, and wider choice of lens.

===============

So, any advice on my choice of the two (or other options?) would be appreciated. Although I do have a budget limit, I would like to get a good system to achieve what I like to shoot, plus I could potentially sell my olympus and my sanyo HD camcorder to compensate.

===============

In case you suggest a33 (likely as it's a sony forum LOL) please help me on my lens choice to go with it, based on my shooting style above. I have done some reading on this forum so here is my newbie picks.

1. I would like to order the A33 body only option, as kit lens is short and may be of low IQ. I had experienced olympus +kit and I am sure I will out grow kit lens quickly.

2. A 18-250mm lens by SONY. There was another brand but I got impression that SONY one is better.

3. A portrait fast lens. I assume it will be a 50mm one but there seems to be many choices and I have no clue which one to pick.

4. I suspect I would need a lens that is relatively fast and have some zooming ability (not as much as the 18-250) for my indoor HD video shooting of my daughter but again no clue what to get.

Any other lens option I should be considering?

===============
Again, I am very grateful for your input.

Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow