Started Nov 10, 2010 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Makingtrax
Regular MemberPosts: 309
Like?
Help with large print
Nov 10, 2010

I don't normally sell large prints but a client wants a print of a bridge at 130cm x 60cm. The photo is cropped to letterbox shape and at the required size without resampling my Canon 5D MkII image has a resolution of 120 pixels per inch. Now I know that a lot of photographers don't subscribe to the 300dpi theory which many feel is over the top but I would have thought that 120 ppi is a little low and will cause the image to be less than sharp.

The alternative is to resample in photoshop (I don't pocess a fractal upscaler) to 200/300 dpi at that size and add the extra pixels, which itself will cause image degeneration and loss of quality.

The question is, which of the two methods will produce the best print!! It's rather expensive to experiment and do both. Surely someone who regularly prints large might know the answer to this balancing act. One final thing - I phoned my professional print shop who said that they much preferred the non-resampled file and felt they could make a good job of it. They asked what the file size was at 120ppi and I said 50MB. They said they felt that there would sufficient information in that file size to do the job. Dare I take the risk at 120ppi - I'm quite fussy when it comes to looking at prints??

Any help much appreciated (I'm posting this in the pro forum as well, as I need an answer soon).

Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow