GF2 loses flash controls - why?

Started Nov 4, 2010 | Discussions thread
Sam Bennett
Veteran MemberPosts: 4,235Gear list
Like?
Early firmware?
In reply to saghost, Nov 10, 2010

saghost wrote:

I'm withholding judgement on this until production hardware shows up. There's at least one review spec sheet that said it did have compensation (IR), and the removal makes no sense.

Yeah, I'm wondering if it's just an issue with the initial firmware everyone's looking at. It would make sense consider what a rush job it's been. It doesn't really make any sense to remove either feature, since it wouldn't save money and it doesn't simplify the camera at all (since the features were so buried anyway).

I think the touch interface actually presents a nice opportunity for Panasonic to introduce better control between ambient and flash light in a photo - likely through a slider similar to the de-focus control. Unfortunately, the GF1's flash was so limited in its power range (can only throttle down to 1/16th power, IIRC) that even that sort of interface would prove problematic.

The GF1 was already weak in this department in relation to the E-PL1 (which has a wider power range, manual control, wireless control, etc), hopefully Panasonic's not making it even weaker.

-- hide signature --
 Sam Bennett's gear list:Sam Bennett's gear list
Olympus OM-D E-M5 Olympus E-M1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GM1 Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH Panasonic Lumix G Vario 45-200mm F4-5.6 OIS +4 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow