D7K: I'm scared with so many complains...

Started Nov 10, 2010 | Discussions thread
Peter v.d Werf
Contributing MemberPosts: 659
Like?
Re: D7K: I'm scared with so many complains...
In reply to beshannon, Nov 10, 2010

beshannon wrote:

Nearly all of the complaints that I have seen involve people more interested in disecting the camera than actually taking photos.

Until last week I would have agreed with you, I dislike pixel peeping and I too don't see any point in taking 30s photo's while leaving the cap on and complain that they see hot pixel while this would never show during normal everyday use.

Unfortunately, while I was thrilled to have received my D7000 last week, when I shoot video indoors, I simply saw visible hot pixels in every frame. 4 red, of which 2 bright, 1 bright blue and 4 lesser bright green pixels. This is while keeping the camera in AUTO and simply shooting video indoors. To me, that accounts for simple, everyday video use. The issue goes away when going manual and setting the shutter speed above 1/120th, but this is not usable for video indoors. The issue occurs regardless of the ISO setting.

Luckily, I have no issues with still images. And please don't tell me that I should not complain because it is a photo camera and video is irrelevant:) One reason for upgrading from my D80 was video, so I would like to use that completely trouble-free;-)

The camera itself and image quality is simply great! No doubt about it.It feels high quality and handling is the best. But hot pixels in video is simply a bummer.

I do think this is software fixeable somehow because in images hot pixels are not visible.

Of course it is not the end of the world, and I expect the issue to be less visible when shooting video outdoors with more light (read: choosing > 1/120th s). But it is very annoying nontheless to have a number of pixels constantly visible during indoor video.

Next saturday I stop by my dealer and will have a look and possible swap for another model...

to the OP: I honestly never though I would say this, but had I been in your shoes, I would wait for just a week or 2 and see if this issue indeed occurs with "just a few D7000's" or that it is a bigger issue and Nikon is going to come out with some kind of firmware fix(?). It absolutely is a great camera and I think this video hot pixel issue is going to fixed somehow.

Most people having issues, mostly write about hot pixels in video, not images. You need to decide whether this would be a problem for your needs.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow