Thom's 2011 predictions are out and D400 is...

Started Nov 6, 2010 | Discussions thread
Tony Beach
Senior MemberPosts: 5,084
Like?
Re: What about the D7000?
In reply to Dan, Nov 9, 2010

Dan wrote:

Tony Beach wrote:

There's no way Nikon unveils their latest, greatest technology in a non-flagship model

Wouldn't it have made more sense to come out with a D400 before the D7000?

No, and mainly for the reason that I outlined above. It would only make sense if Nikon wasn't going to do any substantive upgrades to the D300s other than the sensor, and that would really be a marginal upgrade. To illustrate my point, fastforward to 2012 and imagine a "D400" where nothing has really changed since the D300 except the sensor, video, and that extra SD card slot -- that's going to look really old by then, especially if the video in the "D400" is already "so 2010."

Since the D7000 essentially replaces the D90, consider that the video is a 2 year upgrade, the sensor is a 3 year upgrade, the AF system is 5 year upgrade, and the metering compatibility with older lenses is brand new. If Nikon waits until late next year to replace the D300s with a "D400", the video will be a 2 year upgrade, the sensor will be a 4 year upgrade, the AF system will be a 4 year upgrade, and perhaps Nikon will throw in something brand new [insert a big deal feature here: I'm still thinking maybe built-in grip, but maybe it will be something out of the box that it shares in common with the "D4" that gets announced the same day].

No, I think there's a reason Nikon updated the D300 to a D300s and upgraded the D3 to a D3s this last year, they wanted to hold their ground (even if only mostly in a symbolic way with the D300s) with those two models until they were ready for the full "D4/D400" upgrade. The D7000 does nothing to rain on that party, other than possibly drizzle a little on the sensor if Nikon uses the same one in the "D400," which is why I'm also thinking that the "D400" actually won't use the same sensor as the D7000.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
ETTRNew
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow