Started Nov 8, 2010 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Jay Bean
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,661
Like?
The sun melted my 7D
Nov 8, 2010

Got a surprise the other day when changing lens. I noticed what looked at first like lubricant on the lower black flange inside the 7D mirror chamber, just behind the lens mount ring. On closer inspection I found that it was actually melted and deformed. I also found that part of the black cover over the AF sensors was melted as well.

Best I can figure is that a few weeks ago while shooting an outdoor event in bright sunlight, I set the camera on the ground for a few minutes with a tele on it. It was not facing directly at the sun, but apparently was facing that direction just enough to allow the sun to concentrate upon & heat up the lower portion of the mirror chamber and melt the > > PLASTIC

The melted flange & cover doesn't seem to have affected the AF but that's just dumb luck.

So everyone out there, be careful. Don't let your cameras even pretend to point anywhere near the sun for even a few moments at a time.

Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow