Started Nov 8, 2010 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
cburdick1
Junior MemberPosts: 41Gear list
Like?
Must...buy...L...glass
Nov 8, 2010

Let me frame my comments here: I am an amateur photographer. I use my 50D mostly to take pictures of family and friends and while traveling. Sometimes I have the time to make a day trip for the sole point of taking photos, but most of my captures are more because I have my camera along with me rather than going to an event with the sole intention of taking pictures.

My kit consists of a 50D, Canon 10-22, Tamron 17-50 (not the VC model), a Canon 70-300 (not the L) and a 430EX flash. None of these items would be considered pro quality, yet they suit my needs just fine.

However when I read posts in the Canon Lens forum I find myself thinking that the only stuff worth buying is L glass and the fancy big white telephoto lenses.

Perhaps I should look at it in relation to cars: Cheap consumer point and shoots = Econobox four-door sedan.... Mid level consumer (like my gear) = BMW.... 5DmkII, L Lenses and white telephotos = Ferrari

So I pose this question to the other amateurs out there: Do you ever feel that the overall sentiment in the photo world is that our consumer level gear is looked down upon? Would you like to see more comments and conversation regarding lower priced gear?

cburdick1's gear list:cburdick1's gear list
Canon EOS 70D Canon EF-S 10-22mm f/3.5-4.5 USM Tamron SP AF 17-50mm F/2.8 XR Di II LD Aspherical (IF) Canon EF 70-300mm f/4-5.6 IS USM
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow