Started Nov 7, 2010 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
luisflorit
Veteran MemberPosts: 6,968Gear list
Like?
E3 vs E30 vs E5 RAWs of SAME subject and SAME settings
Nov 7, 2010

In a recent Spanish review of the E5, the guy made some RAW comparisons between the E3, E30 and E5 of the same subjects under the very same settings and shooting conditions and all ISO settings. Yeah, lots of ORFs. Here's the link for you to play (240MB!):

http://www.megaupload.com/?d=IV8Z36X4

Beware that the E3 decided to focus nowhere, and the pictures are quite bad because of that (What?? An E3 with focus problems??? Can't be.... ). Better compare the E5 vs E30.

I opened the ORFs with RAWTHERAPEE (yeah, it opens E5 orfs without a problem) to avoid any JPG trickery, processed all of them with the exact same parameters (no sharpening, no NR, no saturation, no NOTHING) and saved as 100% quality JPGs.

What I see is that the E5 is indeed undoubtfully sharper. Good. No idea how this impacts moiree though, since there are no parallel fine lines in the picture.

But I see not a tiny bit advance in noise handling, except for the lack of banding (that is great of course). Yes, the E5 has perhaps a liiiiitle bit less chroma noise, but its pictures are considerably less saturated (!!), so when you bump the saturation to match the other two cams, you get chroma noise back. In particular, ISO3200 and ISO6400 are totally unusable and ISO1600 barely, for my uses at least. This perfectly matches the fact that the E5 has the very same EPL1 sensor.

Cheers,
L.

-- hide signature --

My gallery: http://luis.impa.br/photos

Oly Ee3 + 12--60 + 50--200 + EeC-14 + Oly EfEl50R
Pany FZee50 + Oly EfEl50 + TeeCon17 + Raynx 150 & 250

luisflorit's gear list:luisflorit's gear list
Olympus E-M1 Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 50-200mm 1:2.8-3.5 SWD Olympus Zuiko Digital 2.0x Teleconverter EC-20 Olympus Zuiko Digital 1.4x Teleconverter EC-14 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 100-300mm F4-5.6 OIS +3 more
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow