Thom's 2011 predictions are out and D400 is...

Started Nov 6, 2010 | Discussions thread
fromero
Contributing MemberPosts: 651Gear list
Like?
Re: Thom's 2011 predictions are out and D400 is...
In reply to tyb, Nov 7, 2010

I think that Thom wanted to be provocative with the idea of an integrated grip in the D300s' successor. This was something that went away after the D2x, and together with a cheaper price, made the D300 a selling success.

In my opinion, this decision, incorporating the grip in the body, would alienate lots of possible buyers, me included, and would gain very few ones. Three years ago, the new D300 cost here in Europe, at the time of launch, something above 1400€ with a MSRP of around 1600€ (I do not recall the exact figures, but they were in this range). So at that time, lots of people payed more for that camera than the current buyers of the D7000. It seems plausible that these very same people could afford a new camera that would be more expensive than the current D7000. Now, early owners of the D300/D300s have a three/one year old cameras. They are the prospective buyers of the new camera. Next year, most of the D300 owners, and some of the D300s and D7000 owners will buy the next high end DX camera. I think that in no way Nikon will alienate lots of people with something like an integrated grip that could be get as an extra. Even the ones who need this extra, surely won't need it full time.

Nikon has mouth watered me with some of the characteristics of the D7000, not being among them the extra Mpixel count, but the seemingly better color, wider dynamic range, better high iso response, better? metering (I doubt that) and some additional things. But other things are very important to me, like CF compatibility, remotes compatibility, and the amount and positioning of the buttons for ease of use. But if Nikon makes a bigger and heavier camera than the current D300, I am not buying it in spite of how wonderful this grip would be for some other characteristics, the same way that I would never buy a D2X even at the same price of the D300, even though the quality of this camera at low ISO could be better than the D300. And I have seen some people in the mountains carrying D300 cameras, but I doubt they would carry a D2x sized one.

Only Nikon can decide, but I would by puzzled and deceptioned if they return to a big, almost monster, body in the current days. And my consolation will be that if they put the grip, at least it will be good financially for me.

-- hide signature --

Francisco Romero

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
ETTRNew
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow