Thom's 2011 predictions are out and D400 is...

Started Nov 6, 2010 | Discussions thread
eddyshoots
Senior MemberPosts: 2,174
Like?
Re: Thom's 2011 predictions are out and D400 is...
In reply to tyb, Nov 7, 2010

Thom's predictions are interesting as are many of the comments in this thread (and elsewhere). As goofy as they might seem I'll present my predictions here:

The D3100 sits right where it should so I see nothing new here.

The D5000 is due for an upgrade. I imagine we'll see the 5100 soon, late 2011 or 2012 maybe. Minor upgrades; adopting the new 14mp sensor and improvements in video.

The D90 replacement? I think we already have it in the D7000. For the life of me I can't figure out where the D7000 stands if Nikon intends to release a D90 replacement. The only thing that makes sense would be to drop the D300 completely (see DX4 below). I don't see that happening nor do I see Nikon adding another camera level between the D90 replacement and the D300 replacement.

A lot of concern about the integrated grip in the D300 replacement. I think it's a lot of concern about nothing. Nikon gave us a hint of their direction with the release of the D700 and D300. They were trying out putting two sensors into a single body with consistent ergonomics and accessories. Both cameras were a success so this is not going away. The D300 and D700 will continue in an upcoming generation and will share the same basic body (D400 and D800). Continuation of the 16mp chip with higher ISO characteristics for the D400 and the next generation D4 FX chip for the D800.

The D300/D700 experiment was a success so Nikon will try the same thing with their full blown professional cameras. The D4 and DX4 will be full weather sealed, magnesium body, next generation auto-focus and high frame rate bodies that will house a FX sensor (D4) or a DX sensor (DX4). I think there are a lot of photographers that feel they don't need FX but would like a full professional body. In fact, an argument could be made that it's often the DX shooter that abuses the bodies even more (wildlife, bird, sports...etc) than do the FX shooters (wedding, portrait..etc.). Being the flagship line this is where we will see any surprises that Nikon might have for us. Perhaps replacing Magnesium with Carbon Fiber or another high tech composite? Interchangeable sensor assembly?, might make sense if they want a single camera to appeal to both the FX and DX camps. This is also where we will find out if they have any prepackaged surprises that have been built into existing lenses or flashes (any votes for a new level of flash sync speed with the SB900 and SB700? 1/500th, 1/1000th?).

-- hide signature --

eddyshoots

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
ETTRNew
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow