Where do camera manufacturers get their marketing ideas?

Started Nov 7, 2010 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
snegron
Regular MemberPosts: 499
Like?
Where do camera manufacturers get their marketing ideas?
Nov 7, 2010

I'm curious to know if anyone has any idea where camera manufacturers go to get their ideas for their next camera production. Do camera manufacturers have marketing or research and development teams to find out what consumers want? If so, I wonder if anyone on those teams spend any time on this or any other photography-dedicated forums?

Here on Dpreview (as well as on just about very other photo-related websites), serious enthusiasts, pros and people in general with a passion for photography share their thoughts on photography and and photographic tools. I see these forums as the pulse of the current camera-buyer's market.

It seems to me, however, that camera manufacturers seem to ignore what the majority of the members on this and other forums are constantly suggesting. Many new features seem to be added randomly to new "enthusiast" or "semi-pro" cameras; features no one in any of the forums ever suggested or expressed any interest in.

I understand that camera manufacturers need to pander to the countless amateurs and produce little plastic image-capturing devices with "gee-whiz" gimmicky features in order to sell millions of them. It's a money-making game. What I don't understand is why can't these manufacturers work on features we as enthusiast would appreciate the most such as better high ISO/low light performance in their current higher-end camera offerings?

Examples of this is are Nikon with its D300S, Panasonic's GF2, Canon's 60D, etc. Instead of giving us much better high ISO/low light performance, they focused on adding enhanced video to these cameras instead. I would have preferred better IQ performance instead of gimmicky video most of us won't use on as serious a level as we do still photography.

Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow