Started Nov 6, 2010 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
maboleth
Contributing MemberPosts: 620Gear list
Like?
7D serious front focus issue with 50 f1.4
Nov 6, 2010

I bought a brand new 7D, but its AF targets missed so much that I had a serious front focus issue. On subjects that were 4-5m from the camera, on f1.4 front focus was about 1,3m away from selected target(s)! On infinity, it was even more.

The dealer replaced my 7D with a new one without any further questions. My hopes were high...

But yet again, same issue happened!! I was completely annoyed by this, I couldn't believe that I could receive 2 copies with the same FF issue.

To be even worse, during the operation, the 2nd camera reported ERR on the top lcd screen and went dead... until I reinstalled the battery. It behaved like nothing happened.

So I sent it to the service for repair. One day later, the service man called me and said my camera was fine. He, however, did calibrate its AF sensors and gave +10, but said what I experienced was more or less normal for 50mm and f1.4, because of the imperfection of the optics, lack of contrast for AF on f1.4, extremely shallow DOF and so on...
He advised me to use at least f2.8 when shooting near infinity.

If I were using 70-200 f4 or f2.8 that wouldn't have been a problem... but on 50mm that was possible. Anyway he said he'd do more testing to fine tune the camera.

About the error I received, he said he did see the record, but it was of unknown origin, so even the camera didn't recognise what happened. Possibly it was due to some battery/voltage fluctuations, but nothing to worry about now.

So, can you please send me some 100% crop images of your working 7D with 50mm on f1.4 near infinity and 4-5m range? So I could compare and check the focus. I'll pick up my camera on Monday... Thanks!

Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow