GF2 - the end of a short-lived era

Started Nov 4, 2010 | Discussions thread
Sam Bennett
Veteran MemberPosts: 4,235Gear list
Like?
Some treat it as an either/or situation...
In reply to roned, Nov 6, 2010

roned wrote:

SF Photo Gal wrote:

Touch screen critics bemoan the lack of an automatic booger wipe mechanism to keep the screen clean.

Still another normally savvy person who doesn't get it. We are not against touch screens. Just lack of buttons. There would have been a whole lot less complaining if the had gave it a different name. Now I don't know if there will be another enthusiast camera upgrade for the gf1. I thought I knew I wanted a gf1 or gf2 but now I am open to other brands.

Even with the introduction of the G2, people had an irrational, negative reaction to the introduction of the touchscreen even though at that time Panasonic didn't remove any physical controls. We're not in a situation where it's an either/or proposition - Panasonic, to me, seems to be striking a good balance between providing a sensible touchscreen interface that genuinely adds value to the camera while not sacrificing too much direct control through buttons and switches. We may get to the doomsday scenario I think some people are imagining where everything is touchscreen based, but there's no indication that's where Panasonic is heading. If they wanted to go there, they'd go there. They already have every bit of camera control accommodated in the touchscreen interface, so it would be quite easily to ditch the physical controls - saving cost and allowing the camera to be even smaller.

-- hide signature --
 Sam Bennett's gear list:Sam Bennett's gear list
Olympus OM-D E-M5 Olympus E-M1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GM1 Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH Panasonic Lumix G Vario 45-200mm F4-5.6 OIS +4 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
LOLNew
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow