ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Pixnat2
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,217Gear list
Like?
Panasonic = Olympus biggest mistake?
Nov 6, 2010

Hi,

In History, Olympus has always been innovative and has made excellent cameras: Pens, XA, OM, Mju…)

In the beginning of digital era, Olympus has chosen the path of innovation again: the 4/3 concept was really a great idea.

The 4/3 system has some of the finest cameras bodies and lenses today in the photographic industry, all made by Olympus : the E-1 is one of the best body ever-made, the 12-60 one of the best versatile zoom lens, the 50mm one of the sharpest prime, and the SHG lineup is composed of fantastic f/2 zooms.

But, Olympus have always had a problem with the only important part of the camera that they do not make by themselves: the sensor

I have the feeling that Olympus has lost the game when they took Panasonic as their main and only sensor provider.

Let’s face it, Panasonic is not a very good sensor maker. Their sensors have always been crippled by poor noise handling and narrow Dynamic Range.

Some people have invoked the law of physics to say that a small sensor will be always worse than a big sensor.

But today, two companies, Sony and Pentax, are about to prove that this is not always true: the Pentax K5 has a sensor that can nearly match the Full Frame Nikon D3:
http://www.dxomark.com/index.php/en/Camera-Sensor/Compare-sensors/

Panasonic best sensor, the GH-1, is far behind.

So, I have the feeling that Olympus looses the game because of a bad choice of sensor provider. If they had made business with Sony or Fuji, the history of 4/3 would have been different, I guess. Sad.

What do you think?
--
Cheers,

Frederic
http://azurphoto.com/blog/

Pixnat2's gear list:Pixnat2's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH2 Canon EOS M Nikon D600 Olympus E-M1
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow