Recommend Arca-style QR plate for 550D/T2i?

Started Nov 6, 2010 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Galaxie 500
New MemberPosts: 8Gear list
Like?
Recommend Arca-style QR plate for 550D/T2i?
Nov 6, 2010

I just got a new T2i and am looking for a decent arca-style quick release plate. I'd rather not go with an L-type plate due to cost and bulk, and no real need to switch quickly between portrait and landscape on a tripod. Unfortunately, my usual "go to" sources -- ReallyRightStuff and Kirk -- seem to offer only that style of plate for this body.

So I tried to save some money and ordered a "KiwiFotos" brand plate, but I think the vendor sent me the wrong plate as the fit is poor, so I'm in the process of returning it.

So I'm a bit reluctant to order another plate sight-unseen. So far my options are:

1. KiwiFotos CP-550D (around $35 shipped on eBay. This one looks much different than the one I received so it may be the correct one. But it ships from overseas so 4-6 weeks to get it)

2. Kirk BL-T2i (L bracket) $100

3. RRS B550D-L (L bracket) $125

4. Acratech #2178 $39

5. Finally, RRS lists the B6 "Small Bi-Directional Plate ($49.00)" as an option for the T2i. This looks like a generic plate that lacks a secondary tripod hole so I'm a little reluctant to try it, but I'd be fine with it as long as the fit is secure without marring the body or blocking the battery door. Also it's rather small so I'd be worried about it twisting and digging into the body.

So if anyone has any opinions or can recommend another plate (even a generic one), I would be grateful.

Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow