Started Nov 5, 2010 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Stan Prevost
Contributing MemberPosts: 643
Like?
Windows 7 Backup & Restore
Nov 5, 2010

I haven't finished investigating my slow boot problem, have been busy moving the system from dining room table to my office, transferring stuff from old computer to new computer and old NAS to new eSATA RAID, etc.

I had about 500GB on the NAS (ethernet), and copied it over to the new eSATA RAID box. That took about 10 hrs, running about 27MB/s.

Then I backed up the files from the main file storage (eSATA RAID-5 box, R:), to internal SATA RAID-0 volume dedicated to backup (S:). I decided to try the Win 7-64 Backup program. That started out just fine. The activity lights on R: were on continuously and the windows dialog box showed an estimated time of 1:00 to 1:15. That tracked with the progress I was observing over the first 15 minutes or so. When I came back to the system 15 minutes or so later, the activity lights were flashing, about once a second or so. Estimated time was getting longer. The backup process kept slowing down, completing in about 4 hours. At the end, the disk lights were blinking about once every 5-6 seconds.

The storage system is less than 10% full at present, so at this rate the backup performance will be unusable as more capacity is used.

Today I decided to just try a direct copy. I did drag and drop of the contents of R: onto a test folder in S:. Finished in 1:04, never slowing down, running about 127MB/s.

What on earth is so wrong with Windows backup?

Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow