Started Nov 4, 2010 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
wiseone
Contributing MemberPosts: 948
Like?
D7000..real world first impressions
Nov 4, 2010

I photograph exclusively animal shelter rescue animals. I have used a D90 for the last 2 years and upgraded to the D7K and used it for the first time yesterday.

I shot indoorsa under flourescent tubes, I used shutter priority, 28-300 lense , fill flash with the little 400, 21 point focus, and I always turn off the modeling light and the laser assist because in the past the lasers seemd to scare the animals.

Focusing seemed much faster...for the most part. Loading on to the 20mg speed pny disk seemed sluggish. Maybe the speed of the flash mem disk is too slow? The file size was jpg/fine.

I always check the screen to check my shots and the screen was bright...problem was, while the photo showed it was properly exposed (to my eye) when viewed on the led screen, when I downloaded them they were somewhat underexposed when viewed in photoshop. I had used increases in ev in most shots, too.

Color balance on auto did a great job underthe yellow tube lights at the shelter.

One significa problem that showed up and can probably be dealt with with different settings...when i was photographing black cats under the lights focus was VERY slow and not precise. I had it set to auto ISO for when I occasionally have to photograph in the cat boxes to make up for the darkness...but it was hard to focus period whether they were in the light or not.

The D90 seemed better at the quicker focusing when it came to the cats...but again, I'm thinking I need to reset focusing priorities and metering priorities...any suggestions?

When it was fast...it was lightning fast (compared to D90) when it was slow...it was dog slow. It is a keeper...I just need to work with it more.

Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow