Like?
Baffled by next lens choice
Nov 4, 2010

So here's my current line up for my 7D:

50mm 1.4
10-22mm
18-135mm
70-200mm f/4 L IS USM

and my main interests are portraits, wildlife (BIF) and scenery - in that order.

The 18-135mm kit lens is the obvious weak link in the IQ chain here and over the last couple of weeks I've been deliberating between the 17-55 and 15-85 as the potential higher quality 'walk around' options. But over the last few days I've found myself as the designated photographer at a couple of parties and office functions and the 18-135 has been my lens of choice on the night due to it's great range which has been invaluable in fast-changing social situations, where I've switched from each extreme and back again in a matter of seconds - there would have been no time to switch lenses, the moment would have passed.

So this has caused me to rethink whether the 55mm or 85mm upper limits of my two shortlist lenses would actually keep me happy.

Ideally I want a higher quality lens that offers the same range (or even better) than the 18-135mm.

Cost not an issue.

What do you recommend?

AC1's gear list:AC1's gear list
Canon PowerShot S95 Canon EOS 7D Canon EF 50mm f/1.4 USM Canon EF-S 10-22mm f/3.5-4.5 USM Canon EF-S 15-85mm f/3.5-5.6 IS USM +2 more
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow