Started Nov 4, 2010 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Jim Radcliffe
Forum ProPosts: 11,343Gear list
Like?
The GF2 is a big dissapointment to me..
Nov 4, 2010

It's clear that the GF2 was designed to compete with the small size of the Sony and not designed to satisfy those who purchased the GF1 and were hoping for a camera for photographers.... a better, more intutive evolution of the GF1.

The GF1 was already small enough and needed better DR and noise reduction at higher ISO settings. It also needed a built in EVF of much higher resolution.

The GF2 is so dissapointing in so many ways, at least to me. Better external manual controls would have been much more appreciated rather than a touch screen system.

So now the external controls are gone, the battery is smaller and the battery life will probably also be shorter, the camera is smaller and the touch screen will make it even more difficult to use. Bright sunlight will make using the touch screen difficult to use. Not an improvement in my book.

The GF2 now seems more like a glorified point and shoot camera with a bunch of "features" that offer even less for photographers. The video boys will love it. The touch screen means that less components are involved and probably will add to the profit margin.

Needless to say, I'll not buy it. It's not a camera for photographers but now just another camera for the masses. I'm sure they'll sell plenty of them. I feel the GF2 is just another example of a company not listening to photographers but rather listening to their marketing department. I realize Panasonic is in business to make a profit and evidently their target market for the GF2 does not include serious amateur photogrpahers like myself and many more who chose the GF1 because of what it offered and what it could have become.

I know that many will think the GF2 is great and for them, maybe it will be. For me, it is a huge disappointment.
--
Jim Radcliffe
http://www.boxedlight.com
http://www.oceona.com

The ability to 'see' the shot is more important than the gear used to capture it.

Jim Radcliffe's gear list:Jim Radcliffe's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GF1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH2 Fujifilm X-Pro1 Pentax K-5 IIs Fujifilm X-E2 +6 more
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
JimNew
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow