LX5 Processing

Started Oct 27, 2010 | Discussions thread
Trevor G
Veteran MemberPosts: 6,466Gear list
Like?
Re: LX5 Processing - Intelligent Resolution Effects?
In reply to tinpusher, Oct 30, 2010

tinpusher wrote:

Actually I think I know how to overcome the problem.

Intelligent Resolution isn't the cause ; it's partly the basic noise reduction processing so setting file modes to NR -2 helps.

Partly correct.

There have been some weird answers to this query from folk who obviously either did not view the picture at a larger magnification, or don't realise that noise always affects the darker parts of the image first.

It is very obvious that the darker parts only of the image (the foliage in shade) have had excessive NR applied, which has smoothed away most of the detail. Ugly.

Turning NR to minimum is correct as the first solution.

Setting Intelligent Resolution to High can help .. not what I'd expected.

It's believable if some of the explanation provided by DM is correct.

Overexposure seems to be the key to what has happened together with the softness at the 90mm end of the lens.

The parts of the image which were blurred were not over-exposed. Over-exposure was very minor in this case, 1/3EV, and actually helps to reduce noise in shadows, because there is less area in shadow.

The "softness at the 90mm end of the lens" (if it exists) has absolutely nothing to do with the shadow blurring. The blurring is a very obvious, NR over- processing effect.

Any lens related issue affects both highlights and lowlights equally.

Actually , the smearing caused by NR appears on some RAW files so there's quite a bit of processing going on there too!

That is quite possible, too.

-- hide signature --
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow