Started Oct 29, 2010 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Andrew Koenig
Contributing MemberPosts: 565
Like?
Extremely unscientific comparison: 24-70 vs both 24-120
Oct 29, 2010

Here are three images that I took at the Photo Expo show in New York within the space of a few minutes. One was with the 24-120 f/3.5-5.6, one with the 24-120 f/4, and one with the 24-70. The "original" JPEG files are straight out of the camera; the rest of them were processed by the DPReview gallery software.

I'm not going to tell you which lens took which picture, though you can probably find it out by looking at the metadata. If you decide to do that, I hope you will look at the images carefully first.

It is possible to raise all kinds of objections to this comparison: The camera was hand-held at high ISO, exposures weren't matched, both the camera and subject(s) moved between images, and so on and so forth. However, the comparison does represent one way in which this camera and these lenses are apt to be used in the real world, and I hope they're useful in that sense if no others.

If you don't like the images, or you think they're ill suited, I hope you will respond by posting your own images. As I had only a short time to play with these lenses, in far from optimal conditions, I did what I could.

Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow