Started Oct 28, 2010 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Deepshooter
New MemberPosts: 5
Like?
Using the Pentax W90
Oct 28, 2010

Hi. I've had the W90 for a couple of weeks, and so far, I've generally been impressed. I've (hopefully) added some photos for you and other readers to see. Last week, I shot the largest sockeye salmon run in Canada (B.C.'s Adams River) and got some good results in somewhat turbid, fastmoving water. Had I planned better, results might have been better. The camera, on a mini gorilla pod was submerged in fastmoving water to a depth of a foot or so. A great feature of the camera is you can tell it to start taking photos at a certain time, and at repeated intervals varying from 10 seconds to longer, for as many shots as you want and your memory can hold. So i placed the camera in the water, and let it do it's thing for 10 or 15 minutes at a time. It didn't leak, despite getting slightly bashed around by fish and river flow, and it seemed to focus automatically fairly accurately on teh fish, which moved around rather closely to the water. When I shot earlier, in lower light, the flash went automatically and I wasn't sure if I could override that. That meant a lot of backscatter in the pics. Later, with more sunlight, underwater photos were better. The fish images you see were only quick-fixed with Adobe Elements, which brought color closer to what I saw.

The camera didn't seem to leak, though the battery/SD card door doesn't seem that robust against water leakage. However this camera is rated deeper than most weatherproof P&Ss. One store recently told me they were getting back a lot of Canon's new water-resistant point and shoot.

One great thing about the W90 is stunning macro capability. I've always wanted to shoot macro, and am no expert on it, but you can get magnify incredibly small close up detail. I hate tripods, and I've shot the tiniest flower details handheld, and the camera seems able to handle that, especially with the three LED diodes surrounding the lens.

If I have complaints its that the EV exposure setting is buried in the menu, when it should be more handy. And, occassionally, it seems some menu functions don't want to be adjusted. That may just be my unfamiliarity with the camera and it's settings. Some have noted the W90 eats battery power, and, with the little LEDs, going, and its internal clock controlling interval shooting, I agree it's not great. But it's not horrible either.

I'm still learning my way around this camera, but it's very compact in size, seems relatively durable, and photoquality seems for the most part quite good. Hope this helps.

Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow