Started Oct 28, 2010 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Gary Dean Mercer Clark
Veteran MemberPosts: 5,170Gear list
Like?
SD9 Still holding up to the newer Bayer sensored cameras
Oct 28, 2010

The SD9 still is one of the sharpest cameras that I've ever used. Put a Sigma 30mm F1.4 and manually focus it and you get tack sharp results for landscapes. I took it out to shoot side by side with the new Sony SLT-A55 that I picked up to shoot for fun with. The Sony really does a nice job resolving detail for a Bayer sensored camera and its anti-aliasing filter doesn't seem to be as strong as the Canon 5D MK IIs, so even using the cheap kit zoom lens that came with the camera, it really captured very good image detail and color. Sony is on the right track with this new camera.

For a $300 dollar camera with a $500 dollar lens, the SD9 is still probably one of the best values out there for shooting landscapes. I have yet to find a Bayer sensored camera that can out resolve it in terms of soft image detail but with a little tweeking, the Sony A55 can produce some very sharp, detailed landscape images which was a surprise to me. I think that smaller pixels are actually an advantage as seen in the images detail captures with the tiny pixeled Sony and we are going to realize this concept in the SD1.

I think that having billions of extremely small pixels capturing light actually creates an image that is closer to what fine grained film did in the old days. You just don't see the noise in the final prints with the Sony A55 as size of the noise or pixels is so miniscule. I think this bodes well for the upcoming SD1 and its tiny pixels in the same way that the Sony is taking advantage of the smaller pixel and 16 megapixels of information crammed onto the APC sized chip.

http://www.garymercer.us

Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow