LX5 Processing

Started Oct 27, 2010 | Discussions thread
Detail Man
Forum ProPosts: 15,000
Like?
Re: LX5 Processing - Intelligent Resolution Effects?
In reply to tinpusher, Oct 27, 2010

tinpusher wrote:

I'm not sure what mode I was in when I took this but given an ISO of 400 I think it may have been IA that went to Landscape mode;just a guess on my part

Other shots taken at the time are fine so what do you think went on here?

This is my second LX5.

"IA" mode uses "Intelligent Resolution", right ?

LUMIX's new Intelligent Resolution Technology automatically identifies parts with outlines, detailed texture areas and soft gradation areas, and optimizes the edge emphasis on the outlines and detailed texture areas while using the Venus Engine noise reduction process to make the soft gradation areas smoother .
http://www.panasonic.asia/lumix/philippines/features/ir_technology/index.html

This is a processing technology used in newer Panasonic Lumix cameras which takes a more sophisticated approach to sharpening and noise reduction by separating the image into three types of area: outlines, detailed texture areas and soft gradations. Outlines are sharpened, detailed texture areas are moderately accentuated and soft gradation areas (like skies, for example), are smoothed rather than sharpened .

By separating these different types of detail and processing them differently, Panasonic hopes to achieve good detail without increasing image noise. Conversely, ‘Intelligent Resolution’ should provide lower noise at high ISOs without compromising on detail, particularly textured detail, which is usually the first casualty.

It’s not yet clear whether Intelligent Resolution offers a better noise/definition compromise than other processing systems, but it’s encouraging that manufacturers realize the issue needs addressing.
http://www.photo-facts.com/WP/archives/10500

Can't access the Original JPG with Exif and maker Notes meta-data in your gallery (you can change the permissions in your DPR Profile "Edit Profile"). With the Original available one could have a look at whether:

The detail of the foliage at such a distance from the camera may well be pushing a "pixel-ation" limit of the 10 Mpixel image-sensor. It's not unthinkable that (as a result) the "Intelligent Resolution" algorithm is interpreting these areas as "soft gradation areas", thus performing no sharpening in those areas. The amount of NR applied when "IR" (may, possibly) be increased (relative to the PASM NR). Thus, "no sharpening" (in such a case) in such areas may have more of an impact than PASM operation.

Your previous image of foliage seemed (to my eyes) to have some similar effects.

I have yet to see any of the suspected to be "uncharacteristically soft in certain places" LX5 images posted appear (to me) to have been caused by the OIS system.

To evaluate the basic optical integrity of the camera, (I, personally) would stay well away from "IA" mode . To allow the camera to "heap" robot-brains on top of the (already complex enough) window-dressing of the in-camera JPG engine makes for a soup of dubious variables.

Shoot in RW2 to evaluate the performance of the lens-system and image-sensor. Add "bells and whistles" (if at all possible) one at a time . Your answers can then be delivered by simple deduction.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow