Started Oct 26, 2010 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Humanoid
Veteran MemberPosts: 4,465Gear list
Like?
D3 & 300mm afs f4 (Hummingbird Images)
Oct 26, 2010

The images were processed in CS4 with a ColorChecker passport profile. Colors are as they were let me know what you think. I still have a few hummers in the backyard and I must of shot over 6k in images and continue to process them. The season started late and was filled with a lot of fun and frustration.

Most of these were taken with 5 flash units using the D3 and 300mm f4 afs lens with a TC14eII on a gitzo monopod. This lens allows me to get closer to the hummers than my 300VR lens and is just as sharp.

To freeze the hummers wings you manually setup your flashes for 1/16 or 1/32 with the flash sync speed of your camera. One issue I had was setting the onboard flash (sb900) to 1/16 but the flash was harsh and ttl worked much better. I use a Better beamer flash extender to get over the lens and dialing in a -2.0 works well. I'm trying to get more subtle flash on the hummers and in turn bring out more natural colors. For next season I'll add a flash or two plus sekonic light meter to more balance the background with the target area.

If you have some hummers to post be my guest and post them. The more the better!

1)

2)

3)

4)

5)

6)

7)

8)

peace,

Ray

Humanoid's gear list:Humanoid's gear list
Nikon D2X Nikon D3 Nikon D200 Nikon D300 Nikon D700 +7 more
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
WowNew
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow