Started Oct 25, 2010 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Figsbury
Contributing MemberPosts: 655Gear list
Like?
Door(s) - new take on rules
Oct 25, 2010

You just have to love the way Bernard909 comes up with a new slant on challenge rules!
His "Door(s)" challenge includes a rule:

"Users with an average placement above 45,0 % are NOT allowed to enter in this challenge"

Now I've seen rules restricting entry based on number of votes placed in the challenges overall, and sometimes we are disenfranchised purely by not having a shot that is suitable (respect to those that embrace this as the challenge and create an image specifically!)

But I worry about this rule. I'm not a statistician and would welcome some input from anyone that is - but restricting entry on average placement seems to me to then skew the entrants resulting average as they are only a subset, based on their average, of the wider membership.

This also worries me as it seems to imply a "streaming" of the membership implying that average placement indicates a level of skill.

It also seems tough on those who have been busily improving their average and have just improved above the threshold.

Also a persons average may have more to with their judgement in matching a shot to a challenge or failing to read the rules thoroughly. I've voted low on some great pictures where they didn't fit the challenge.

Interested in your thoughts!

Figs

Figsbury's gear list:Figsbury's gear list
Sigma DP2 Sigma DP2 Merrill
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow