1st event. No idea what to charge

Started Oct 12, 2010 | Discussions thread
zoooming
Senior MemberPosts: 2,577
Like?
Re: Give it away.
In reply to W Fenn, Oct 24, 2010

I wasn't talking about you specifically - I was referring to the poster.

If you can shoot well composed shots for sale then go for it. It would help though to know beforehand what to charge.

You may go on all you like about film and how great it was but irrespective of what you shot, it was up to the person at the lab, who colour corrected your roll of film, and had the final say on what the ultimate prints looked like. You had the initial control when you took the shot but no control of the final outcome. That is unless you developed and printed your own rolls of film.

How many times did you put a roll of film in only to have the casual, at the lab, put in, or take out, too much magenta/cyan/yellow/whatever, and then have to ask for reprints.

From my own personal point of view digital has opened up the world of photography to a whole new breed of entrepeneurs. Whether that's good or bad is up to the individuals to decide.

The "old school" film shooters have a whole new breed of digital shooters to contend with, however the same old rule applies - if you don't exceed and excel then you may well fail.

If you take great shots no apology is expected.

Zoooming

Fenn wrote:

zoooming wrote:

For all we know the guy may be an accomplished photographer having learnt on digital cameras as opposed to what you did - on film.

No where did I mention a difference of film or digital nor do I believe that they exist for the purpose of this thread. Many accomplished photographers would do a disservice to accept money for a job. Only experience will answer if you are up to the task. Take all the lovely photos you want but if you cannot deliver an demand then don't accept money for or pass yourself off as an event photographer.

The learning curve on digital is far quicker than it was with film.

I almost never shoot my DSLR on anything but manual. Nothing is easier than mailing a roll of film to the lab and getting back some prints. Remember Kodak's "push the button and we do the rest"?

If you have an obvious eye for composition then even better. It's also easier to "start out" on digital than it was with film. If that is the case than I can see why the poster asked re what to charge - though common sense would suggest that one explores that area before embarking on taking up work for pay.

While some business principles obviously still apply in starting a business today, compared to 25 years ago every thing is becoming portable and throwaway/replace rather than fix and repair.

A customer is never a throw away item and this is who you will be serving. Take money for the job and "I'm sorry" cannot be part of your vocabulary. This business principle will never go out of style.

Some jobs have become more simplified these days - just take the role of computer engineers and compare how they used to fix things "in the old days" to what happens now. It took years of skill and study to even think about tackling computer problems in the past - these days teenagers are pulling systems apart and building faster/better units from bits and pieces and spare parts.

Delivering on time and as agreed is not simpler today than before. Customers demand more service and expectations of quality are higher than ever- and they will not accept that they or their job might be "thrown away".

I'm not saying that's good or bad - just the way some things are. But if you want to make money running a business then you don't treat things lightly and plan ahead.

Zoooming

W Fenn wrote:

You are obviously joking of course.

No I'm not.

Let's see now - First event and no idea what to charge. Obviously not a pro or even an advanced beginner. No listed or expressed knowledge or experience at all and hasn't bothered to look at other web sites or other photogs to check prices. No guarantee of ability to take proper photos or deliver a finished product but somehow a lot of people seem to think that this guy should charge some sort of professional price.

What's wrong with you all?

When I began 25 years ago I practiced literally for years and took (and developed and printed and matted and made albums etc.) many thousands of photos so I at least had some confidence in my ability to deliver a technically correct photo even if my knowledge of commercial work was non-existent. I then studied my desired peers and others photogs who did similiar work. Before I accepted a single dollar I had backup equipment, sales tax license and commercial insurance. I had printed brochures and a portfolio of work to show even if it was not of the subject job being priced out.

I still gave my first few jobs away because I was getting more out of it than the customer.

There seems to be the idea here that "just anyone" can deliver on a job so you might as well charge somewhere near top dollar.

Shame on you.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow