Started Oct 23, 2010 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Jeff Peterman
Forum ProPosts: 10,382Gear list
Like?
Tamrac Evolution 8?
Oct 23, 2010

I know I should post in the Bags forum, but . . .

I normally travel with a 7D plus 70-200 f2.8L, 17-55, and 10-22, plus a few other things, in my carryon. My Lowepro MiniTrekker works fine for this, but it doesn't work as a shooting bag when I get there - I end up a packing a Velocity 9 too.

I was in a local camera store (Penn Camera) today with some time to waste, and saw this new bag from Tamrac. It looks like a very flexible and useful design - it can be used like the Lowepro Slingshot but can also be used like a full backpack. Best of all, it appears to have most of the capacity of the Slingshot 350 while still falling within the size limitations of an airline carryon bag. (The Slingshot is too thick.) My one concern is that even though it is thinner than the Slingshot, it is right on the edge of most size limits - with the thickness of the straps, I measured it at around 9.5" deep, while most airlines have a limit of 9". The "official" thickness of the bag is 8.75, and my measurement wasn't very precise, so, has anyone here tried taking this bag as a carryon and had it tested for size at the airport?

(By the way, I've flown transatlantic on Virgin for years but no more - they're the only airline that still has a 9 kg (13.3 lbs) weight limit for carryons, which is more than some bags empty!)
--
Jeff Peterman

Any insults, implied anger, bad grammar and bad spelling, are entirely unintentionalal. Sorry.
http://www.pbase.com/jeffp25
http://www.jeffp25.smugmug.com

Jeff Peterman's gear list:Jeff Peterman's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ40 Canon PowerShot S110 Canon EOS 7D Canon EF-S 10-22mm f/3.5-4.5 USM Canon EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 IS USM +16 more
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow